World biz and more as seen from India

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Virtual touring

I have been pissed off with google lately but how much ever I try, I just cant hate them. From time to time I make a post which is a bit away from the theme of this blog but the cool index of this was just too high to resist posting.

Google released adding "mapped" Mumbai and a few other cities in Google Earth so I thought I would take you on a virtual tour.


The above picture shows flora fountain (top left) and Mumbai High Court region. An importnat attraction for people is the road connecting the two where you'll get the cheapest books in the world.


The above picture is of Gateway Of India and the famous Hotel Taj which is probably the biggest blunders in construction. The french architect committed suicide when he found out that the hotel was being constructed backside front.

Here we can see Chatrapati Shivaji Terminal (a.k.a Victoria Terminal). Mumbai can be a nice place to visit if manage to survive the crowd in the local trains.


Here we see Wankhede (bottom left) & Brabourne stadium (Top right). Interesting story, Wankhede stadium was constructed because Cricket club of India (CCI) refused BCCI to use its stadium.... or something like that.. I had heard that it was constructed as away to get back to CCI. This is where Cricket's god - Sachin grew up with his heavy bat.

If I am not wrong, This is Bhaba Atomic Research Centre, in Mumbai. I am sure this image is going to be blurred out soon.


Its surprising how Google hasnt respected places of national security like a nuclear research centre and even naval docks. Sites from Dadar, bandra and other suburbs havent been mapped as yet. Similarly, they have some details for New Bombay. I'll try to get some photos for you guys later.